What a better way to begin the magical month of December than with a Winter Wardrobe Essentials post?
With Christmas only around the corner, (23 days to be exact, not that I’m counting…), for most people money is more scarce than usual, with presents to be bought for family and friends, and the temptation to shop stronger than usual. Anything covered in sequins that is gold, silver or maroon has me weak at the knees, but when I come home, that sparkly bodycon dress doesn’t seem to look as nice as the salesperson told me it was. Result – me rummaging through my bag frantically trying to find the receipt.
So, the money we spend on ourselves and our winter wardrobes must be spent wisely in order to make sure we are both stylish and generous when the holidays roll round. These are eight pieces that I feel will carry me, and hopefully some of you, through the winter months without breaking the bank, while giving major style kudos. With each piece costing less than €100, you’ll certainly be on Santa’s, and your bank’s, nice list this year.
1. Tartan scarf, Zara, €22.95 – The most important thing to me when it comes to dressing for winter is warmth, style comes second. Fortunately, this scarf from Zara does both. Perfect with a leather jacket or worn on its own over a knitted jumper, I know I won’t be taking this scarf off anytime soon. Plus, considering you’ll be wearing this until the end of February at least, spending a bit more on a scarf will certainly be worth it!
2. Statement necklace, New Look, €14.99 – Statement necklaces have become a firm favourite in every fashionistas wardrobe, they transform plan tee-shirts from drab to fab – stylish dressing has never been easier. Take out last year’s Christmas dress, abandoned at the back of your wardrobe, and add this necklace for a whole new look * geddit, New Look? 😉 *
3. Faux leather trousers, River Island, €45 – Leather trousers (faux of course) are no longer only worn by hardcore Nine Inch Nail fans with sixteen-hole Doc Marten’s, this past season especially they have crept their way into women’s (and some men’s) wardrobes everywhere. These trousers are so versatile – they look great with everything from slouchy tees to sparkly string tops. If you’re looking for the perfect day-to-night piece, these are for you.
4. Black ankle boots, ASOS, €82.19 – From August onwards, black boots march their way into my life and my wardrobe. They look great with everything – dresses, jeans, leggings… (maybe not tracksuit bottoms, but whatever floats your boat), and if you buy a good pair, they last for years. With hundreds of variations of black boots on the market, it can be hard to decide which are for you, but this year I strayed from my usual Chelsea boot to something a bit more different. The silver hardwear on these boots adds just a bit more to any outfit, making stylish dressing even more effortless than before.
5. Earrings, ASOS, €10.96 – Nearly every outfit I wear from December to February goes as follows – jacket, top, scarf, jeans, boots – making it very hard to look like I have actually put any effort into what I’m wearing, as all everyone sees are my jacket, scarf, jeans and boots. As a result, accessories take a step forward. A pair of gorgeous earrings like these are, in my mind, almost a badge that says: I have made an effort, I am not an eskimo in disguise! For not more than €10, these earrings give another dimension to the one dress you’ve worn fifteen times, and the skinny jeans that have a small hole growing on the knee – success!
6. Hat, Missguided, €17.66 – I’ve been dipping my toes into the world of hats lately, and although I’m still on the edge, I think this one from Missguided is gorgeous. Everybody needs a hat for winter, while this one may not keep your ears too warm, you certainly will look stylish. Once again, this hat allows you to look fashionable, while hardly requiring any effort. For less than €20, I am certain this will not be my last hat purchase in the coming months, with colours like burgundy and bottle green on the market.
7. Clutch, New Look, €24.99 – No party wardrobe is complete without a clutch, in my opinion. While I am one for carrying everything from my laptop to the kitchen sink in my handbag, I find it easier to bring a clutch on nights out. The holiday season usually consists of lots of social events and nights out, (yay!), so a good clutch will definitely come in handy, quite literally. You can buy clutches as big or as small as you like, this one is perfect for carrying your phone, money, key and lipstick in.
8. Angora jumper, £54 (around €65), Topshop – Angora and mohair jumpers and cardigans have shimmied their way into most high street shops since the start of the cold weather. They are warm, cosy and, yes, on trend. Giving a nod to Cher in Clueless, this jumper from Topshop is what I plan to wear on Christmas day with a faux leather skater skirt, and again with the faux leather trousers from River Island when I hit the sales.
I could go on and on with jackets, gloves and onesies ( you didn’t think I could forget a onesie now do you? 😉 ) but these are my top eight Winter Wardrobe Essentials, that hopefully spark some inspiration for anyone looking to build a winter wardrobe.
What’s your favourite piece? What’re your Winter Wardrobe Essentials?
*The mind is everything. What you think, you become. – Buddha*