Yup, you read that right. Don’t get me wrong, I amn’t anti-Instagram, but recently I’ve found myself becoming more and more disheartened by the app I once loved – and judging by what I see on Twitter, a lot of people feel the same.
While Instagram was once a place we went to to share photos of what we were up to at that very moment, it has evolved into something that we take photos specifically for. Now, the app isn’t there to share photos we already have, it’s to share photos we solely took for Instagram. Does that make sense?
What I’m trying to say is, Instagram (generally) has become a place where we show the best version of ourselves, and that’s great. But it’s not so great when you’re scrolling through your feed every spare moment of the day, wondering why you’re not as pretty/successful/funny/*insert insecurity here* as whoever you follow.
We all know social media isn’t reality and it’s a highlight reel of people’s lives, but that doesn’t mean we still don’t compare ourselves, even if we don’t mean to. With this in mind, I’ve tried to take a step back from Instagram lately. I only follow accounts that inspire me/don’t make me feel like shit, and I try not to scroll for the sake of it, but instead when I actually want to. Shock horror. I’ve become less obsessed with taking the ‘perfect’ photo, but instead I try to take photos that I like, despite whether they’re ‘Insta-ready’ or will get likes.
With that in mind, here’s 31 things you can do instead of going on Instagram when you’re bored…
- Read the book that’s been sitting on your bedside locker for months
- Read the magazine you bought when doing the food shopping two weeks ago
- Read that blog post you’ve always wanted to read
- Write a list of things you’re grateful for
- Do a facemask
- Have a bath
- Paint your nails
- Organise your makeup
- Organise your wardrobe
- Clear out your wardrobe
- Clean your room
- Clean the inside of the fridge (who does that regularly, anyway?)
- Text the family member/friend you haven’t seen in ages
- Go on a walk – even if it’s just down the road
- Make some muffins (or cookies… or both)
- Try out a new recipe for breakfast/lunch/dinner
- Prep your meals for the week
- Call a friend
- Write a letter telling someone how much they mean to you
- Reply to those emails that have been in your inbox for weeks
- Do some yoga or mindfulness (or just close your eyes for 10 minutes)
- Have a shower, exfoliate and shave like the goddess you are
- Clear out that drawer full of junk
- Get a nice cup of coffee and don’t take a photo of it
- Print out photos from your phone
- Start a scrapbook with old tickets and things you’ve hoarded
- Watch that documentary you’ve always wanted to watch
- Make a list of goals
- Make a list of things you’ve achieved
- Make a plan of action for that thing you’ve always wanted to do
- Eat some ice cream (why not?)
+ 1,000 other things that you enjoy! Let me know in the comments what else you’d add to the list!